Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bo Fo' Sho'

I feel as if I was deprived my whole life before I came to college. But not because of the extra freedom, new friends, or late-night parties. I feel deprived because, before I got to Chapel Hill, I had never heard of Bo Burnham. Who is this wonderful guy, you might ask? Some sports superstar, a famous celebrity, or maybe a powerful leader? No way. He is a college student a lot like you and me. Except for one thing: he's a lot funnier.

While Bo might look like a nerd or a geek, he actually seems pretty cool. Or at least you get that impression when you listen to his comedic songs. And I must add, one of my friends claims to have met him, and apparently girls are all over him back in Massachusetts or wherever he's from. Anyway, he mainly does raps while playing piano or songs while playing guitar. And if you try not to laugh while listening to these songs, you will fail miserably.

Bo's first big hit, "Bo Fo' Sho'" is the reason most people first found out about him. In it, he describes himself as "a born Bostonian/Aryan librarian of the word Smithsonian," and it seems to fit him well. He masterfully weaves rhymes together and creates jokes that are quite complex, and, at some times, extremely crude and vulgar. This is why I wouldn't recommend this type of humor to anyone who doesn't enjoy "Superbad" type movies. With lyrics like "though I'm sexually straight, you're bound to find/I'm mentally gay because I'll blow your mind," some people are bound to be offended.

Another real winner from Burnham, and my all-time favorite, is "I'm Bo, Yo," and I guess it must be most other people's favorite as well, since it has more views than any of his other videos. In the chorus, Bo is tooting his own horn, so to speak, saying "I'm the greatest rapper ever/and I'll weather your weather/whether you think I'm clever or not./Think you're better? You're not/don't need a sweater I'm hot." While you might think those rhymes don't sound too vulgar and maybe Bo is capable of being funny withot being gross and inappropriate, you're wrong. He quickly squashes any thoughts of that nature with some hilariously offensive remarks- "I spit fire like I just blew a demon./My shit's so hot I'll leave your toilet bowl steamin'." and "I don't know if all boy scouts are gay./But they can probably tie the knot in, like, fifty different ways." If you don't take offense to any of that because you aren't a demon or a boy scout, don't feel unappreciated. I have omitted the most offensive of his lines. You will have to watch the video for yourself to hear those.

I am not, by any means, saying that I agree with Burnham's lyrics that can often be borderline racist and blatantly sexist. All I'm saying is that he is really funny.

4 comments:

Kang He said...

wtf? hahah is this bo guy for real? and where the hell did u discover him? From reading the lyrics, then trying to associate that to the picture made me laugh hysterically. It seems like this Bo guy used the youtube website to make himself famous even though you did not specify that. but huge props for Bo for making it out to the UNC campus. You gotta let us future bans of bo know how you discovered this guy though. It seems that people are using the media on a large scale to try and become famous. I don't know what kind of characteristics it takes to put up a video than get so many views that people are writing blogs about you, but i give you major props.

g. said...

I was first introduced to this ingenious fellow from a friend a few weeks ago. She prefaced the YouTube video of him singing “Im Bo Yo” by stating, “Shut up and listen to this shit. This guy is ridiculous”. From that remark I knew she wasn’t playing around. He had me at “see you later ghost of Martin Luther King Junior”.

Superbad is a great comparison to Bo Burnham. In fact the first time I listened to this crude and vulgar lyrics that movie was the first connection that came to mind. But this guy also reminds me of a young Eminem, who was so famous for calling out homosexuals and celebrities but got raves for his ludicrous rhymes. I love mainstream rap with lyrics about bottles of Patron and its so hard being a gangsta, but such lyrics get redundant. And some hilarity needs to get back onto the Billboard charts.

millertime said...

Oh, my god, I had know idea that my life was lacking such wittiness and clever humor until read this blog. Bo Burnham is freakin' hilarious. He just might be the best rapper ever, as he repeatedly says he is. I don't know if Bo writes his lyrics out, or if he is free styling, but either way it is ingenious work. I would bet that in the next five years, we will be seeing Bo Burnham on comedy central, SNL or some other big time comedy media outlet. This kid is going to be big time, and thanks to youtube, he has been able to gain a huge following (one of his videos has over two million views)from the comfort of his dorm room.

Felipe said...

His lyrics funny? Knid of. The funniest thing is seeing his picture and then hearing it. He looks so goofy i would never expect comments like those from him...even more i just cant take him seriously so no nothing he says is offenseive and i dont think it should be for any one else...i mean look at him picture, he might be a cool and nice guy but i wouldnt even take my self serious if i tried to rap.
Personally though i think there is no way you can compare Bo to superbad...yea he makes some good and funny comments but its nothing to make me laugh every time i watch it. i think he needs to try a little harder if he wants people to keep on thinking he is funny.