Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Unforgivable

Something has been terribly wrong with this blog for a long, long time. Since I began it, in fact. The problem is, I have been constantly writing about Youtube videos but, until today, I have forgotten to pay respects to what is probably the greatest of them all. If you haven't already guessed from the title, I will give you a few hints. It's a series, it's filmed in the woods, it's widely imitated, and it involves a really angry black guy named Hodge Stansson, pictured at right. Of course, it's none other than "Unforgivable."

In the first video of the series, Stansson comes on strong with what will become his most memorable line from all of the "Unforgivable" videos. When the girl he's at the mall with asks what he wants to eat, he responds, "Get me a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries ... fo' free!" This is indicative of Stansson's attitude throughout all of the stories that he recounts via Youtube. He comes off as a hard-core, gangster, womanizer. Nearly every story he tells has something to do with his interactions with the opposite sex, which often turn very graphic. For this reason, I won't go into detail about those parts of the videos.

Also in the first video of the series, Stansson delivers what is probably my favorite "Unforgivable" quote of all time. Upon learning that his date has two brothers, he rants, "Bitch, you better not have no siblings. That's a mistake!" This line, just like all of his others, is delivered in a voice that is very original. Hodge Stansson has a deep, scratchy voice that he uses during all of these videos. It is obvious that a great deal of people find it to be catchy and funny, because when you search "Unforgivable" on Youtube there are well over 7,000 results.

At this point, I think it would be appropriate to explain a little bit about why Stansson felt the urge to create these videos. It turns out, Sean "P. Diddy" Combs was sponsoring a commercial-making contest for his new cologne fragrance, "Unforgivable." Hodge Stansson, a student at Valencia Community College in Florida, according to online sources, decided he could do a good job at making a video in keeping with the "Unforgivable" theme. While I think the combined 30+ million people that have viewed his videos on Youtube would agree that he had incredible success with this project, unfortunately, Combs and the other executives at his Sean John label did not. None of Stansson's videos ever made it into a commercial for "Unforgivable" cologne. However, he has created a cult following on Youtube and gotten some great exposure for his talent in the area of film and art. If only he could find a slightly less vulgar outlet for his vast talents, Stansson could soon be very successful indeed.

3 comments:

xoxo Maria said...

I have to say that after a long depressing week this blog post really helped lighten the mood. I heard about these videos from my younger brother. He thought they were hilarious, and that I just had to watch them. I saw the famous first one that you were writing about, and it was just as humorous as you explained. Your two favorite quotes were mine as well. I think many can agree that most of his vulgar talk is somewhat repulsive until he shoots out one of the classic funny lines. It's a shame that P. Diddy didn't give the guy a chance, but as we can see he did well for himself nonetheless. I, personally, forgive you for slightly forgetting this video because it is demeaning towards women. I tend to look past that, and just get the comic aspect out of it. Videos like this keep YouTube in the limelight. Nice job Brett. :)

KHamlin said...

Brett finally comes through with the Unforgivable post. In my opinion this is the BEST Youtube video EVER. Your blog would definitely not be complete without it. As I read this blog, I was ready to come in with my comment lay down the funniest line of the entire video, "You better not have no siblings. That's a mistake." As I should have guessed, Brett Baggett does not miss important parts of YouTube videos. I learned a lot from this blog. I never knew the history of the video and its links to P. Diddy's cologne. I always thought that whoever created that disgusting fragrance should be shot, but now I know to praise him for his glorious creation and the arrival of my favorite YouTube video, Unforgivable. Although the first is by far the funniest, check out the other videos in the serious because they are also very funny.

urbanfrugalchick said...

I am late just discovered unforgivable today! oh so funny! that guy should have kept doing them