Sunday, September 28, 2008

Duke Tailgate

So far, I have focused on fairly well-known videos in my blog, but something happened this weekend that must be noted. I went to tailgate at Duke's home football game. I'm not sure who they played, but it honestly didn't matter. It is seriously the craziest thing that I have ever seen. And if you attack me for being a traitor or not having school spirit, you obviously never been lucky enough to go to a Duke tailgate yourself.

I'm going to apologize in advance for the poor quality of this video, but its erratic nature is actually well-suited for the occasion. That's because, in this unremarkable parking lot near Wallace Wade stadium, a world exists like none you've ever seen before. To give you an idea of what it's like, let me first describe the dress code: anything you want. Preferably something that you wouldn't mind getting ruined. Here are a few girls in typical tailgate garb on the walk over to the parking lot. You can tell that spandex and bright colors, including tie-dye, are favorites, but it wasn't uncommon to see people wearing leotards, tiger stripes, leopard print jump suits, or Halloween
costumes.

Bathing suits are highly recommended for guys, as well as a tolerance for showering in Busch light, because at some point you will have it poured on your head. If you're not into bathing suits, jerseys and basketball shorts also seemed to be popular. I saw all types of jerseys, from Duke football, to NBA teams, to little league recreation teams.

Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures of this event on the internet, so I am forced to supply my own. For this reason, I'm going to go ahead and share one that I'm actually in. You can't see my flowery bathing suit, but I guarantee to you that it's there. However, you can tell that everyone is a little damp, even though it wasn't raining. Unless, of course, you count the kind of precipitation that contains alcohol.

I highly recommend viewing the video because these pictures just don't do the tailgate justice. Even though it lacked a few of the traditional elements associated with tailgating, it wasn't any less spectacular. For instance, I didn't see a hot dog or hamburger all day, but surprisingly, no one seemed to care. And even more highly than I recommend watching the video, I recommend actually going and partaking in this phenomenon for yourself. Don't be like the girl in Cluck-U and say "yeah but it can't compare to our tailgates." You will only be laughed at by anyone who has been to one at Duke.

1 comment:

xoxo Maria said...

Okay, first of all let me say just to see the word Dook on your title made me puke a little in my mouth. :) After getting over the fact that you would do such a thing as go to any Dook event and actually not hate every moment makes me question your dedication to our beloved college. haha I am no hater just merely a strong believer that Dook is garbage. ;) Whatever the case, I did take an interest in watching this so-called "awesome" video just to see what your huge infatuation was all about. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan and nor will ever be a fan of Dook so it didn't look like fun to me. Maybe it was the fact that I would hate being drenched in cheap beer only to smell horrific for the entire span of a shitty game. Maybe it could even be that I didn't really like the music. Maybe just maybe, I am a true Carolina fan who would rather be in Chapel Hill with my Carolina gear surrounded by other Carolina lovers than there. :) I gave your video and blog a chance. Now back to the wonderful world of Tar Heel town. :) haha